OVER 42 YEARS IN OPERATION
US Cargo commenced operations in 1972 with the goal of creating value-based solutions for our customers. Whether financial documents, floral deliveries, pharmaceuticals, or every day parcels – we’ve serviced it all! Over the years we’ve created a culture of commitment whereby our people’s thoughts and opinions matter.
The driving force throughout the years has been our commitment as been providing top quality and reputable services to thousands of businesses. Today our efficient and reliable ground delivery team can transport everything from overnight letter packages and interoffice mail to optical repairs and computer parts. We service major cities, small towns and rural areas in all of Ohio, Pennsylvania and portions of surrounding states. US Cargo is a specialty courier, specializing in you, our customer. Whether you have a dedicated route with 300 stops a day or a shared route with one stop a week, we offer flexibility to meet your unique customer requirements.
Company Founded – Ralph Richter negotiates $2,000 bank loan for down payment on vehicles to form the United States Cargo and Courier Service
US Cargo opens three locations in Ohio and diversifies its transportation offerings by including parcel delivery into its growing network. During this year, US Cargo begins Cleveland operations for Society National Bank and the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland
US Cargo establishes an aviation service center (FBO), Rickenbacker Aviation Center, to provide fueling, aircraft maintenance, freight handling, and other aviation related actives at Rickenbacker airport
Riding Technology – US Cargo begins White Glove service for the emerging charter education market by performing home computer installations and equipment exchange for students in the state of Ohio
Joining Forces – US Cargo is acquired by Pitt-Ohio, a privately held transportation solutions provider based in Pittsburgh, PA. Today, both transportation companies combined operate a truckload fleet of 239 tractors and 1,199 trailers, and a LTL fleet of 767 tractors and 1,892 trailers.
US CARGO HISTORICAL EVENTS
- US Cargo commenced operations November 6th, 1972
- Ralph Richter negotiates $2,000 bank loan for down payment on vehicles to form the United States Cargo and Courier Service
- Three leased vans for a $3,000 bank loan; office starts in a garage
- US Cargo begins installing copying machines for SCM Corporation and added 3M and Bell & Howell copiers over the next few months. This was the beginning of our ‘Equipment Transportation Division’. The two bays in my garage office became our Warehousing Services Division and Vehicles Services Division
- Developed and implemented a pick up and delivery system for NCR Corporation, for the movement of service department cash registers and accounting machines, new machine installations, and computer system equipment transportation
- Prospected a manufacturer of mining machinery, Jeffrey Mining Machinery Company, to move parts to their mining customers on an immediate demand for service format.
- We leased Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) and Public Utility Commission of Ohio (PUCO) operating authority from other motor carriers to legally provide for hire transportation service this account
- US Cargo begins an air freight cartage division for Burlington Northern Airfreight
- Begins an air freight line haul operation between Dayton and Cleveland for Cape Air Freight for transport to JFK airport in NYC
- US Cargo begins a bank commercial statement delivery service the first week of each month
- Begins a bank transportation “Float Management” route system for Huntington Bank in Columbus. Replaced their in house private carriage operation
- US Cargo begins a relationship with General Motors Testing Division. Taking the first 20 vehicles from several GM plants, operating them for 100,000 miles in three months, (“Preproduction Builds”) to determine the lifetime warranty liability of those models
- US Cargo begins Cleveland operations for Society National Bank
- Added the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland to our account list (FRB operations in Cleveland, Columbus, & Cincinnati to every bank in Ohio)
- Open Canton, Ohio Station
- Open Dayton, Ohio Station
- Open Cincinnati, Ohio Station
- Begins flying air charter flights to remote areas of Ohio to meet our ground based ops to fly checks to processing centers in Columbus and Cleveland
- Purchase of our air charter service provider, Aviation Systems Inc; renamed it ‘The United States Cargo Air Service’
- Open Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Station
- US Cargo begins a relationship with Mellon Bank
- Open State College, Pennsylvania Station
- Established an aviation service center (FBO), Rickenbacker Aviation Center, to provide fueling, aircraft maintenance, freight handling, and other aviation related actives at Rickenbacker airport.
- Open Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania Station
- Open Allentown, Pennsylvania Station
- US Cargo begins white glove delivery service for the emerging charter education market by performing home computer installations and equipment exchange for students in the state of Ohio
- Open Charleston, West Virginia Station
- Begins RRD/BB&T operations in West Virginia
- US Cargo is acquired by Pitt-Ohio, a privately held transportation solutions provider based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Today, both transportation companies combined operate a truckload fleet of 239 tractors and 1,199 trailers, and a LTL fleet of 767 tractors and 1,892 trailers